Monday, February 15, 2010

Teriyaki Chicken and Rice



I made this dish to use up the rest of my shredded chicken because I ran out of my taco secret sauce. Plus I wanted to try to use the chicken in a healthier way. If you want you can use bottled teriyaki sauce by itself but I added a few things for extra flavor and balance

Ingredients: this is for 2 servings of chicken
2 cups white rice
1 cup shredded chicken
Lime wedges
For Sauce:
1/4 cup store bought teriyaki marinade/sauce
1/8 cup water
1 tbs rice wine vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp red chili flakes

Directions:
1. Cook the rice. Place 1 tbs butter in a sauce pan and melt. Add 1 cup rice and allow to toast for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups of liquid (either water or stock or a mix) cook 15-20 minutes or until rice is done.

2. While rice is cooking combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Make sure to taste it. Want it spicier?-more chili flake. Too salty?- more water.

3. When rice is finished heat sauce over medium heat. Add chicken and heat through for about 2 minutes.

4. Put some rice in a bowl and top with chicken and a little extra sauce. I like to add a little extra soy sauce to the rice and a squeeze of lime juice over the whole thing. This is delicious, quick and healthy. enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment