Friday, December 25, 2009

Salmon with Beur Blanc and Rice Christmas Dinner



My dad has some food restrictions and this meal works around those perfectly so I decided to make it for Christmas. I like it because it's really simple and doesn't take very long to make.

I realized I made both Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas dinner all by myself. Of course my mom and cousin helped a little but I probably did 95% of it alone. I'm pretty proud of this fact and that I pulled it off because I've never done a holiday meal alone before. It also worked out for the best because I turned it into another Christmas present for my mom and now I found out that I'll be doing an appetizer party for her b-day. This is perfect for me because it's impossible to buy gifts for my parents haha.

When it comes to rice I like to add as much flavor as possible. So it's okay to cook with water but to add more, use things like stock or wine or a mixture. This will add so much deliciousness to your meal and it is a really easy step.

My dad bought this salmon and he did a spectacular job. Make sure to ask for the salmon to have the pinbones removed and the fish should smell like nothing or the sea.

Ingredients:
1 fillet of salmon per person, washed and seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme and oregano
1 1/2 cups white rice
3-4 cups of chicken stock or water.
1 bottle white wine, divided
4 Shallots, thinly sliced
1 lemons
1 stick of butter

Directions:
1. Beur Blanc sauce: chop 2 shallots finely. Add a pat of butter to a pan and cook shallots for about 2 minutes, until shallots are soft. Add 1 cup of white wine and 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Allow this to cook and reduce until there are about 2-3 tablespoons left.

2. Put a pat of butter into another saucepan and then add 1 1/2 cups of rice. Allow rice to cook in pan for about a minute then add 3 cups chicken stock. For most rices the rice to liquid ratio is 1 to 2 but check your package of rice to see if its different. Bring liquid to a simmer then cover with a lid and lower heat to medium-low. This should be finished in 20-30 minutes.

3. Add rest of shallot to a large wide pan with high sides. This will be used for the poaching of the fish. Add rest of bottle of wine, any left over lemon juice in lemon, and water if necessary to make about 1 inch of liquid in the pan. Bring liquid to a simmer over medium-low heat.

4. To finish off beur blanc sauce take stick of butter and cut into small cubes. Add 1-2 cubes at a time and stir into reduced sauce over low heat. Allow each addition to melt before adding the next one. Incorporate all butter then leave pan on the lowest setting to keep warm

5. Slide seasoned salmon into poaching liquid. Cover with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes. When finished the salmon will take on a lighter pink color and when touched gently should spring back. It's better to take it out a little underdone then overdone because the fish will keep cooking outside the pan.

6. To serve: place salmon onto a large platter and drizzle with a little beur blanc sauce. For a fancy finish feel free to add fresh chopped chives on top of both the rice and fish. Fluff rice with a fork before serving and add a little butter, salt and pepper to your liking. Enjoy everything together for a really tasty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment