Saturday, December 26, 2009

Chicken Paprika and Dumplings with Green Beans



Alexa requested this meal and since she took the time to drive up to my apartment, I figured I could make this for her. I haven't had this dish in a long time and I'm glad I had it now because it was delicious. My cousins and I decided that we were going to try to eat more czech foods because this is a czech dish. We already were looking for new things to try in my czech cookbook.

Some other friends stopped by on the same night. There was just enough food for everyone. It was hilarious to watch Pat and Jenna argue over food. I personally can't think of a better compliment to my food then that. haha.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
1 chicken thigh per person serving. (I made 5)
2 tablespoons flour
2-3 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 lemon, juiced

You'll also need the ingredients for dumplings. That recipe is in my ducks and dumpling post. If you don't want to make the dumplings feel free to serve it with potatoes or rice. I suggest something starchy on the side that can soak up the extra sauce from the chicken.

Directions:
1. In a large pot (a soup pot or saute pan with high sides and needs a lid) heat oil over medium-low heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until almost golden (don't let the pieces burn so stir occasionally)

2. Sprinkle paprika over onions and allow to cook like 3 minutes.

3. Turn up heat to medium. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add to saute pan. This step is to brown the outside, not cook the meat through. Brown both sides of chicken then remove it to a plate.

4. Turn heat to low and add flour. Stir well and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add half the chicken stock and stir until everything is incorporated.

5. Add chicken pieces back to pan. Make sure liquid/sauce comes up about 3/4 way of chicken pieces.

6. Keep liquid at a simmer and cover pan with a lid. Allow chicken to cook for about 40 minutes or until tender.

7. While this is cooking make any side dishes you want to serve

8. Once chicken is cooked remove to a plate and cover with foil. Turn heat up to medium- high and add sour cream and lemon. Allow liquid to simmer until it is slightly thickened. Return chicken to pan and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. i can't believe all this. i am so impressed. everything looks friggin delicious. i say you plot a takeover of rachel ray (you are much more cool anyway)

    it's awesome you photographed these too so your memory won't be limited to taste.

    take it easy. keep cookin!

    ReplyDelete