Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Baked Chicken with mashed potatoes and corn



This meal is simple and a classic. I've never met someone who didn't like this meal or at least everyone can like an aspect of it. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but when I bit into the chicken, I thought it was some of the best chicken I'd ever had and I realized why. The olive oil in the small pan I used fried the chicken a little bit so the skin was extra crispy. Plus I think it helped that I used a lot of seasonings and salt which gave it a lot of simple flavor.

The best part of this seasoning mix is that it uses a lot of common spices so it's a great way to start a spice cabinet. Spices can seem expensive, especially buying a lot at once but with this meal you can buy these 5 spices and use them over and over because a bottle of spice can last a long time. This mix can be used on almost any piece of meat and the amounts can be changed based on your preferences.

Ingredients:
seasoning:
1 cumin
1 red chili flakes
1 thyme
2 garlic powder
2 onion powder
4 tsp salt
2 pepper
2 chicken thighs
russet potatoes
milk
butter
canned corn (fresh is better if it's in season, which is usually in summer)

Directions:
1. preheat oven to 350. Line a pan that barely fits the chicken and has sides that are about 2 inches with foil. If you only have big pans that's fine but the smaller pan gets the chicken crispy or you can just make more chicken.

2. Mix chicken seasoning. I put a ratio up above so it's easier to expand into a larger recipe. You can use any measurement you want, I used teaspoons.

3. Rinse off chicken with water and then put finger under skin. You want to separate the skin from the meat. Do this gently because you don't want to take the skin all the way off because roasting with the skin on adds flavorful.

4. Take a good amount of seasoning mix and rub onto meat and under skin. Also make sure to season the other side of the thigh that is all meat and bone. Do this for all pieces then if there is any extra sprinkle it on top of skin.

5. Put onto foil lined pan and drizzle with olive oil, about 1 teaspoon per piece.

6. Bake chicken for 45 minutes, make sure to turn pan in oven once while cooking for even roasting.

7. While chicken cooks, make mashed potatoes (recipe in weiner scnitzel)

8. I used canned corn so it only took a few minutes to heat up. I made it while the chicken rested. (THE CHICKEN HAS TO REST AT LEAST 5 MIN!!!) I drained a little of the liquid from the can and then put it in a saute pan. Add a little butter and salt and just heat until warm.

9. Serve everything together and I had some gravy in the fridge from the other night so I heated that up and spooned some on top. Enjoy impressing your friends with something that seems simple but tastes amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment