Monday, December 7, 2009

Ducks round 2 and 3




Round 2 occurred during the sunday of thanksgiving weekend. My grandma, my mom, and I all worked together to make 4 ducks. It was a bit stressful. I love my grandma, but she can be a little intense/picky in the kitchen. So mom and I worked together to keep grandma happy and make a good meal. (don't worry mom, grandma doesn't have a computer haha) I think the best part was standing up to grandma and challenging her cooking statements. My favorite? grandma: you can't keep onions in the fridge. Me: why not grandma? if I put them in the fridge I don't cry when I cut them and I can keep parts of onions that I haven't used in air tight plastic bags. grandma: but you can't keep onions in the fridge. Me: give me one good reason. Grandma: after thinking for about a minute replied I can't really think of one but we usually didn't have room in the fridge so we put them somewhere else. It was fun cooking together because I learned more about my grandma and nothing can beat my grandma's duck, no matter how hard I try haha. I got her advice on making the dumpling because last time they weren't as great as I had hoped and I'll post those below. After making 4 ducks and a double batch of dunplings, we got to sit down to a delicious meal and enjoy each others company and stories.

Round 3 occurred at my cousin Jenna's house. Making it this time seemed a lot easier because I was in control and jenna was willing to help me. I also managed to use a lot less dishes which was nice because jenna and I can get pretty lazy sometimes haha. I had bought the duck a few weeks in advance on a whim and stored it in my Uncle's freezer. After learning the tips from my grandma I was eager to make it again in a less stressful environment and jenna is always willing to eat duck and dumplings. Jenna is one of those precious few who are good eaters who eat with vigor. I'm sure in the next few weeks I'll be making duck again when my other cousin, Alexa, will want some. She sadly missed out on both of these rounds.

The top picture is mine a.k.a round 3 and the bottom is round 2. Both tasted really delicious but while I hate to sound cocky, I think my duck was a bit juicier. Here are the tips I learned to make really good dumplings and the rest of the recipe is in november on this blog.

Dumpling Tips:
-make sure water is at a low oil throughout cooking and cutting
-get dumpling out of water quickly. Remove smallest one first and work toward largest dumpling
- cut and separate dumplings as fast as possible
- cover with a tea towel or cotton towel to allow steam ventilation.

2 comments:

  1. hey girl! i've been wanting to make your duck and dumplings recipe for the longest time but i don't think i could pull it off without seeing it first. So unless you post a youtube video if you making it, do you think we could make this together when i get back?

    also, the reason i'm having doubts about flying solo on this recipe is because i wasn't too sure on your directions about kneading the dough in the november post. also, you say the dough should be cut into 3 pieces and dropped in the water - are the dough pieces supposed to be in a log shape in order to cut slices of it? also, would whole grain wheat bread work? because i feel like it would throw it off a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally down to make this together. I know alexa wants it as well so I'll get my cousins, you, and me together and we'll make it. I know the directions weren't too clear. It's hard to describe the motion.

    The shape of the dumplings is this: you would pour the dough onto a floured surface once finished. Then gently shape the dough into a large log and cut that log into 3 smaller/equal logs. make sure to cover the cut/sticky sides with flour before putting into the water.

    Your right about the whole wheat bread, it would mess up this recipe. Since wheat and white bread are made from different flours they react differently, so use white for this one. I mean how bad is white bread compared to wheat bread in the long run? :) haha.

    I love your commments girl, there like the only comments haha. I miss you, come home!!!

    ReplyDelete