Friday, November 6, 2009

Gnocchi with Butter Sage Sauce


This is to meet a challenge I gave myself. I asked my sis and aunt (hey ladies!) who are sort of picky eaters for various reasons to give me some rules to try to use but still make a delicious meal. Aunt Liz said "I have two major issues I have to work around one is allergies to most spices, seasonings, marinades, anything like that...and the other is my jaw, so I have to a soft diet....not very exciting." Beth requested "let's try a meal that only has food items that start with consonants because I have a mini phobia of vowels. Go!" And if these challenges weren't hard enough already, I decided to combine them. The taste of gnocchi is like a cloud made of a mix between potato and pasta. It's really hard to describe but try it for yourself and find out! Since this challenge was to keep it "bland" I used a simple butter sauce to finish the dish. If I make this again I'm going to use a much more bold sauce, something tomatoe-y and spicy.

Ingredients:
1 pound of russet potatoes, baked in oven till done (i used leftover baked potatoes from a pervious dinner)
3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 huevo (egg in spanish. I know it's cheating a little but come on this was really hard! haha)
1 pinch of salt

Sage Butter Sauce:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into chunks
8 sage leaves

Directions:
1. Bake potatoes. Allow to cool slightly then peel off skin and pass through a food mill. If you don't have a food mill (i don't have one either) grate potato with a large grater. Be gentle and this will work.

2. Bring a large pot of water to boil and prepare an ice bath (a bowl of water with lots of ice in it)

3. Make a well in center of potatoes and sprinkle all over with flour, using all the flour. Place egg and salt in center of well and using a fork, stir into flour and potatoes, just like making normal pasta.

4. Once egg is mixed in, bring dough together, kneading gently until a ball is formed. Knead gently another 4 minutes until ball is dry to the touch.

5. Divide dough into quarters and roll on a floured board into long snakes. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Flick pieces off a fork to make indentations in the gnocchi.

6. Place into boiling water and cook until they float, about a minute. Then immediately place into the ice bath and allow to cool for a few minutes.

7. While gnocchi cook make butter sauce. Melt butter in a pan. Add sage and allow to simmer together for about 3 minutes over low heat.

8. Remove sage leaves and add gnocchi to pan. Toss together for a minute over low heat until gnocchi are heated through.

9. Pile into a bowl and top with a little Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

  1. You rock. Next time we're in Vegas, you are high-jacking Robuchin's (what's his name?!)kitchen and making this for me. Dad can make that happen, right?

    ReplyDelete