Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Steak and Potatoes



I know I've made this dish before but it's just so delicious I can't help but make it again. I was at bristol farms and I was looking at the meat department and said to myself I want some steak. They had some beautiful rib-eyes so I picked one up. The butcher couldn't believe I was going to eat the whole thing by myself since "every other girl always asks me to cut these in half" so I responded to the butcher "I don't know who you've been hanging out with but they're the wrong type of girl" haha. So I must say I was quite proud when I finished that whole steak.

This steak takes a bit of patience but if you do the steps below and you take your time, it'll turn out really delicious. I actually thought my steak was as good as one in the restaurant and with practice yours can be too!

When it comes to steak I'm a relative purist. I like seasoning it up with lots of spices but I don't put any fancy sauce on top. I want to taste the beef not any sauce. Once you get the method down of cooking steaks like this you can conquer just about any type of steak. I suggest practicing on a smaller/cheaper type of steak for your first few times so you don't waste money.

When it comes to spicing your steak up, use whatever spices you have handy. There's no need to go out and buy 10 diff kinds. Just mix what sounds good together to you and put just a sprinkle of each spice so nothing over powers the flavor.

Ingredients:
1 rib-eye steak (about 1 lbs)
1 baked potato
butter
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
grill seasoning
cumin
red pepper flake
paprika

Directions:
1. pull meat out of fridge 20 minutes before cooking. Preheat oven to 300.

2. Wash potato and pierce with a fork all over. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Place in oven to finish (don't leave in longer than 15 min)

3. Heat a cast iron skillet up on high heat (or pan that can go into the oven safely). You want it to be really hot. Place spices onto beef and press gently so it stays on meat and will form a crust.

4. Once pan is hot, pour a drizzle of canola oil and place meat onto pan. It might smoke up a bit so be prepared but it'll be ok. Now don't touch it, turn it, or even peek at it for 4 minutes. This will give it a delicious crust. Then flip the steak and cook it for another 4 minutes. no peeking!

5. If you have a thermometer stick it into the thickest part of the meat as close to the center as possible. Place beef into oven and allow to finish gently. The temp should read 130 before pulling it out of the oven to let it rest. Let it rest at least 5 min, covered with foil and leave thermometer in place.

6. Pull potato out of the oven and serve with sour cream, butter, chives, bacon, and cheese if you have it. Place the steak on a large plate put potato on the side and your ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment