Thursday, March 18, 2010

Brown Rice Risotto with Leftover Salmon



I was trying to think of a way to spice up my salmon and brown rice and I thought to myself I love risotto. I've never made risotto with brown rice so I was excited to try it out. I used the exact same method for making other risotto but substituted brown for arborio rice. This risotto also stretches one salmon fillet to serve two people. To be honest normal risotto is much quicker than the brown rice risotto. I did this to be healthy and nutritious but I mean rice is rice haha.

The leftover salmon was sitting in the fridge all night in the foil packet. The salmon seems to have infused with the lemon/oil liquid that was on the bottom of the packet and it's really delicious! The downside to this dish is the fact that the brown rice takes forever to cook. It took me about 55-60 minutes. If your in a rush I suggest just cooking brown rice in chicken stock because it still gets a lot of flavor and it takes a lot less stock and time.

Ingredients:
1 cooked salmon fillet (salmon in foil style from my november post, with shallots and tomatoes)
Pat of Butter
1 cup brown rice
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 onion chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. red chili flake
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Lemon

Directions:
1. Place chicken stock in a separate sauce pan and set over medium heat until it's simmering

2. Remove shallots from foil packet and roughly chop. Add this and chopped onion to a pat of butter in a pan. Season with salt and pepper and other dried herbs and cook until onions are translucent about 5 min.

3. Add rice and toast for a few minutes or until fragrant about 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of stock and stir into rice. Turn up or down heat so liquid is slowly simmering. Keep stirring as rice absorbs liquid and once absorbed add another 1/2 cup of liquid. Continue until rice is tender

4. Flake salmon into very large pieces (they will break up when stirred into the rice) Once rice is finished add salmon, tomatoes from fish packet and 1.2 cup of grated parm cheese. Stir until salmon is warmed through. Plate family style and top with extra parm cheese and lots of fresh lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment