Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Birthday Braised Short Ribs



My birthday was a few days ago so last night I decided to make some braised short ribs to celebrate. I love the taste of braised beef. It's something that is really cheap to buy but takes forever to cook so I usually only make it for special occasions.

I used my old short rib recipe but with a few twists. Here's the link to the other recipe:

http://kleinanddine.blogspot.com/2010/05/beef-short-ribs-and-mashed-potatoes.html


Updates:

1. Allow the dry rub on the short ribs to marinate for as long as possible. You could even do this the night before and store the ribs in plastic wrap.

2. When cooking the veggies: cook over medium heat  and allow veggies to sweat down and get soft.

3. When adding wine to the pan, allow wine to reduce by half before adding beef stock or water. This really helps concentrate the flavor.

4. Once ribs are finished, instead of blending all of the braising liquids together I decided to strain the liquid. This made a much more luxurious sauce then the blender. If the sauce isn't thick after straining out veggies, cook it over high heat and allow it reduce to the thickness you like, stirring every few minutes so it doesn't burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment