Thursday, May 5, 2011

Kicking it off on Cinco de Mayo

Well, I'm back. I've been super busy balancing senior year in college and working for the LA Kings of the NHL. I've still been cooking and trying new things but I just didn't have the time to post on here. I hope I haven't lost you all and can entice you back with promises of the delicious food to come.

Now that it's summer and I graduate in a few days, I finally have time to post my food and tips as I try new things. To kick things off I decided to celebrate the holiday of Cinco de Mayo with some cold beer and chicken tacos. I'm still using my old babysitter Chio's recipe for the secret sauce. Sadly, I'm still not ready to share that secret, I'll just have to make it for you. : )

For toppings and sides I kept it simple with onions marinaded in lime juice (recipe below-these are awesome and can be used on lots of stuff!), cheese, and lettuce. If you're looking to add more options for friends you could also do salsa, guacamole, beans, chips, mexican rice, pickled vegetables like radish, or a chipotle and sour cream sauce.

The last time I mentioned these tacos in public I was ridiculed for frying the taco shells with the chicken meat inside. The people scorning me said they used a ton of spoons to keep the tortillas open. That seemed like a lot of work to me so I decided to stick with what I was taught by a real Hispanic, thank you very much. haha.

I had more time today so instead of using a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store that is pre-cooked, I simmered raw chicken in salted water with onion for about 40 minutes or until its cooked through. Then allow it to cool and shred it.

I hope everyone gets to enjoy a delicious Mexican feast on Cinco de Mayo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment