Saturday, May 14, 2011

Czech Chicken with Lemons



I found this recipe in a Czech cookbook while searching for a simple chicken dish. I changed the order of cooking a little to give it more flavor. I love how with the right amount of time you can make simple ingredient delicious!

Ingredients:
vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced (I used a red onion because that's what I had but I liked the sweetness)
2 large chicken breasts
2 lemons
2 cups chicken stock
2-4 dry bay leaves
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper
2 tbs flour
2 tbs butter

Directions:
1. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat drizzle of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute on both sides until skin is browned about 5 minutes. Remove browned chicken from the pan.

2. Add thinly sliced onions to pan and cook until softened.

3. Pour in juice of one lemon and cook for a few minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and add the chicken stock. Add the bay leaves, thyme, sugar, sat and pepper. Make sure to adjust lemon (tart) vs. sugar (sweet) levels so they are balanced.

4. Replace chicken back into pan and place thinly sliced lemon wedges on the top. Bring liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, partially cover and cook until chicken is done, about 40 minutes. I used a thermometer on my chicken for super accurate cooking and I've found that pulling the chicken at 162-164 degrees and letting it rest and rise to a final temp of about 166 makes for a really moist chicken.

5. Before serving check the liquid and see if more sugar is needed if lemons made sauce to bitter.

6. To thicken sauce first remove chicken from pan. Create a roux by combining 2 tbs flour to 2 tbs butter. Just mash this together on the side with a fork until it forms a paste. Whisk into the simmering chicken liquid until smooth. Boil until sauce is at desired thickness. (If you go too thick, add more chicken sauce to thin out sauce). For a really smooth sauce I poured mine through a sieve or fine strainer before serving.

7. Plate up chicken with any side dishes (I made roasted potatoes)and finish the plate with gravy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment