Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Alfredo Sauce


When I first made my hand-made ravioli I used a jarred alfredo sauce. Since the ravioli are now frozen and I have a lot more time to make other parts of the dinner, I made the alfredo sauce. In my opinion the homemade sauce makes the dish better but the jarred was still really good. It only took me about 10 minutes to make this sauce so now I have lots of time to keep studying for midterms. Cooking is just so much more fun than studying I'm surprised I haven't been cooking a ton to avoid studying haha.

Ingredients:
1 tbs. butter
1 tbs. flour
1-2 cups of milk
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg (optional)

Directions:
1. Put butter in a saucepan and allow to melt. Add flour and whisk until all the flour is combined. you want equal parts of butter to flour for this (called a rue). Let this cook for a few minutes so the flour taste is gone but don't let the rue get too dark.

2. Pour milk into saucepan and whisk vigorously so there are no clumps in sauce. Add 3/4 of cheese and ground nutmeg if you have it. Allow to thicken until it's at a little more watery of a consistency you like. It'll thicken in the bowl with the pasta and it can get just too thick.

3. Add rest of cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

4. Put aldente pasta and any other parts of the dish into the sauce and finish cooking for about a minute. Serve family style or individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment