Friday, July 14, 2023

Eggs Benedict with Lobster - E - Alphabet Challenge

This week is E and I wanted to utilize one of the most versatile ingredients - eggs! This dish uses a poached egg as well as eggs in the creamy hollandaise sauce. I'm breaking the rules of this challenge just a bit since I've made this dish before but I did a new twist - adding lobster and poaching eggs. 

I am TERRIBLE at poaching eggs. They either don't stay together (whites all over the place) or the eggs are undercooked/overcooked. I watched 10 poaching videos on youtube and decided to give it a try. The secrets I found that I've been doing wrong before:

1. When you create the "whirlpool" in the simmering water with white vinegar, you don't want it spinning too fast. If it's too fast it basically spins the egg whites off of the yolk. 

2. I've always placed eggs in a small ramekin first but I used to just dump the egg into the water. The key here is to place the egg in the water slowly. (Make sure not to burn your fingers in the hot water!). 

3. Lastly, the time for the egg to cook. I found a 3 minute egg in simmering water gave me the perfect consistency - set egg whites but a runny egg yolk. For a medium poach I would do about 1 minute to the cooking time. If you're doing a hard poach, just do a hard boiled egg. 

Since I've made this dish before I've posted links to the original recipes. Making the hollandaise in the blender is the way to go. Much simpler then whisking endlessly to incorporate the butter. For the lobster I simply warmed it in butter in a small pan over low heat until it was cooked through. If poaching eggs is to intimidating or just isn't going well, make a simple egg over easy in a saute pan to top the english muffin. 


Hollandaise in a Blender - http://kleinanddine.blogspot.com/2017/02/hollandaise-sauce-in-blender.html

Eggs Benedict - http://kleinanddine.blogspot.com/2016/09/eggs-benedict.html

No comments:

Post a Comment