Sunday, December 20, 2020

Latkes



It's Hanukkah and all of these posts about latkes was making me crave them. I'd never made them before but I love potato so I knew it was going to turn out fine. This recipe is from Ina Garten. I think my favorite part of the latkes (besides the crispy delicious potato) was the fun of topping them. I know it's not very traditional but topping them with sour cream, bacon bits, and green onion was incredibly delicious. 

Ingredients:
2 large baking potatoes (russets)
3 tbsp grated onion
1 large egg, whisked
3 tbsp flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp pepper
canola or avocado oil

Directions:

1. Peel the potatoes and grate them on a box grater. Wrap the grated potatoes in a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Combine the potatoes in a bowl with the grated onion, egg, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well. 

2. Add a light coating of oil in a large saute pan. Heat over medium high heat until oil shimmers. Place a tablespoon of the potato mixture into the pan. Form pancakes around the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Turn the pancakes over and cook for another 2 minutes until second side is crispy as well. 

3. Place cooked pancakes on a paper towel to soak up the excess oil. Make sure to season with a small pinch of salt as soon as they are cooked to season them. Serve warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment