Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Grilled Corn, Tomato, and Red Onion Salad with Basil Vinaigrette

While bored today and trying to clean - up my blog I found this old recipe. I unfortunately never took a picture of this meal but it was really tasty and I highly recommend this dish.

I made this dish as a side dish for family when entertaining before my brother's wedding. I served it on the side of a roasted beef tenderloin. It was perfect for summer when the corn and tomatoes were in season.

Ingredients: 
8 ears of corn
1 medium red onion
1 container of cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled for garnish 
6 sprigs of basil leaf, chiffonade for garnish

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup basil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup olive oil


1. Pre heat a grill. Season corn and onion with salt and pepper and a light drizzle of olive oil. Cook the corn, turning every few minutes, until the corn is cooked and there are a few grill marks on it. Turn the onion until it is softened and has grill marks.

2. While the onion and corn cool down, cut up the tomatoes and set aside.

3. In a blender, combine the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Do this step no more than 30 minutes before serving so your dressing doesn't turn brown.

4. About 20 minutes before you plan to eat. Toss together the corn, onions and tomatoes with the vinaigrette. Allow to sit and marinate on the counter. At the last minute top with the cotija cheese and extra basil. I like serving this slightly warm or at room temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment