Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Orzo Risotto with Shrimp

I was looking to make a dish with things I already had in my house. I decided to make this simple but delicious orzo dish that is cooked like a risotto. To pair with the pasta, I made some shrimp which I keep in my freezer.  I simply sauteed the shrimp with some butter, lemon and thyme over medium heat until they were cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. You can pair anything with the orzo so let your imagination run wild!

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
3/4 cup minced shallots
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
6 cups boiling water (or chicken stock)
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel (zest)
4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions:

1. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. 

2. Add shallots and garlic. Sauté until shallots are tender, about 5 minutes. 

3. Add orzo; sauté 5 minutes. 

4. Mix in 6 cups boiling water and salt. Simmer uncovered until orzo is tender, liquid is absorbed, and risotto is creamy, stirring often, about 18 minutes. 

5. Remove from heat. Mix in thyme, parmesan cheese and lemon peel

No comments:

Post a Comment