Monday, March 19, 2012

Crepes



When I was cleaning my grandma's kitchen I found an old crepes recipe. She had two different types, one czech and one french. They were both very similar ingredient wise but had slightly different proportions. I decided that I would make both versions and test them out. I made small batches of each, cooked them the same way and flavored them the same with a little powdered sugar. When I ate and made them I noticed some differences: the French version had a thicker batter which resulted in an eggier crepe. The Czech version resulted in a lighter crepe. After making and tasting both I decided that the Czech version was better. So the next time you feel like crepes, use the Czech version below. Or better yet, make both types and have your own Crepe Debate!



Crepes are great because they use very basic ingredients but they can be flavored in a bunch of different ways! You can fill them with savory items like herbs and meat or sweet items like jam and fresh fruit. I've even seen crepes stacked up and then iced and used as a cake. I love having this crepe recipe memorized in case I'm ever in a situation that calls for some quick thinking to utilize strange ingredients.


French Version
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 T melted butter, slightly cooled

VS.

Czech Version
2 eggs
pinch salt
2 cups millk
2 cups flour

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl or blender. Mix until just combined.

2. Put batter in the fridge and allow to rest for 1 hour.

3. In a small non-stick pan, add a little butter, allow to melt and wipe out excess with a paper towel.

4. Add a few tbsp. of the batter into the pan. (I used a laddle so each crepe would use the same amount of batter) Turn the pan until the batter is in one even, thin layer.

5. Allow to cook over low heat until slightly browned. Flip crepe over and cook on the other side for about 1 minute.

6. Stack finished crepes into a towel and keep in an oven at 200 degress until all crepes are finished.

7. Take one crepe, place fillings (sweet or savory) into the middle and gently roll up.

8. If using for breakfast, serve with jam and top with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment