Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Cooking Tools and A New Year



This Christmas I was lucky enough to get lots of cooking items. I got a beautiful cast iron enameled dutch oven, saucier, ramekins, candy thermometer, titanium peeler and a scale. I now have so many more options with these few things. I'm so freaking excited to use them! So far I think I'll make something braised like beef stew in my dutch oven, a fancy sauce for some type of fish or seafood with my saucier, maybe custard for my ramekins, another attempt at chocolate taffy with the candy thermometer, something with veggies for the peeler but I'm a little scared too use it because it's so sharp and I'll need to use the scale for all those recipes. See how many options I already have? Now of course you can make all these things with your own pots and pans. My new items just allow me to continue being creative with food.

To kick off the new year I decided to put up some of my favorite quotes about cooking and food.

"Whether it's mac and cheese or steak au poivre, everyone has one dish they can make." Whitney Klein

"No matter what happens in the kitchen, never apologize" Julia Child

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook” Julia Child

“(On what her longevity is attributed to) Red meat and gin.” Julia Child

"What's with all the drizzling of sauces on food these days? why don't cooks just dump the sauce on? I want to read on a menu, chicken dumped with marinara sauce" Jerry Seinfeld

"Dessert is probably the most important stage of the meal, since it will be the last thing your guests remember before they pass out all over the table."
The Anarchist Cookbook

"You don't sew with a fork, so I see no reason to eat with knitting needles." Miss Piggy, on eating Chinese Food

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may work. Anonymous

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal. Anonymous

"Food should be fun" Thomas Keller

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.” W.C. Fields

"Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie." Jim Davis

"Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!" Tommy Smothers

"When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste." Laiko Bahrs

“There is no sincerer love than the love of food.” George Bernard Shaw

3 comments:

  1. what grows together, goes together.

    once the chef is master of the technique he can do anything in the kitchen.

    I've made certain recipes so many times, they've become a part of my very fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In the kitchen everyone helps everyone else, that's how dinner gets made my friend"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cooking is not for the faint of heart. You must be imaginative, strong minded, you must try things that may not work. You must not let anyone define your limits. Your only limit is your soul. Anyone can cook, but only the fearless can be great.

    ReplyDelete